How do I change my mindset to be happy?
Here are 6 Steps to a Positive Mindset
There is a lot spoken about positive mindset so it is difficult to know what to follow for the best results!
Certainly, there is a lot to be said for following a morning routine which sets you up for the rest of the day.
My wife and I started following these 6 steps to a positive mindset because we had been asking ourselves “How do I change my mindset to be happy?”. We came across from a guy called Hal Elrod. His book “The Miracle Morning” details the 6 steps which you can pick up at Amazon HERE
He states that by following these steps each and every morning, you will see huge changes in your life. He is not wrong, let me tell you!
Our levels of productivity and clarity heightened and increased after just a few days. We felt healthier, more vibrant, less stressed and had a positivity about life which just makes you feel great.
So here are the 6 steps to a positive mindset.
- Silence or Mindfulness – Instead of reaching for your phone immediately after waking up, start your day with a couple of minutes of silence. Empty your mind of any stresses or worries and instead think of positive things. Maybe think of things that you want to achieve in your life.
- Affirmations – As Michael Jordan once said “You must expect great things from yourself before you can do them!” Think of something that you want to overcome or transform in your life. Then say out loud repeatedly for 60 seconds “I, [your name], will be/do [the change or transformation you wish for].
- Exercising – Increasing your heart rate has a massive effect in a positive way. It releases dopamine and other neurochemicals which makes you focus far more and also makes you feel better about yourself.
- Visualizing – This is the big one! The brain works through a combination of your conscious and subconscious minds. If you desire something whether it is more money, to lose weight, a better relationship or whatever, you have to convince your subconscious mind that it has already happened. This can be achieved by a daily session of visualisation. Find somewhere quiet and close your eyes. For a few minutes try to visualize what your life will be like when you have achieved your goal. TIP – Visualise it as if it has already happened.
- Reading – I once heard it said that the day you stop learning is the day you start dying! Get hold of an inspirational book, preferably related to the topic you want to transform and read a few pages every day.
- Journalling – From the book, you are reading, write down in a journal some of the ideas or the learning you have found from it for that particular day. If you have ideas, make a plan with a timescale to implement them.
Now, those 6 steps might sound a little time-consuming! But we combined some of them and tweaked them a bit and our version has made huge improvements in our lives.
We combine the silence, affirmations and exercise all together in the following way. We leave the house at 6.30am and walk for 5 minutes in silence. Then we walk for an additional 60 seconds whilst saying our affirmation. We then run home. Now, whilst this may not seem like much exercise, we could both do with losing a few pounds so it was a great place to start!
We then spend 12 minutes quietly with headphones on listening to Zen 12 Meditation Program Level 1
Whilst listening to Zen 12 we visualise our new reality in minute detail. It works best if you can bring emotions into it. Feel your desires, live them. It really is amazing.
We then read 10 pages of our chosen inspirational book.
Then we finish off with our journalling. We write down 3 things that we are grateful for, 3 things that we aim to achieve today and finally any learning we have taken from the book we are reading.
Then that is our morning routine finished.
Like I said at the top, we are now happier, laughing more, learning more, achieving way more than before. We feel more motivated, healthier and particularly at the moment with the current world affairs, a lot more positive and calm.
So, with all the upheaval in the world, if you have been asking “How do I change my mindset to be happy?”. Give it try this week! You will be amazed at the results.
We would love to hear how you got on too!
You may also find us in one of our other posts – How to Make Affirmations Work